The trial against the woman accused of causing the deadly fire that occurred in August 2023 in a house in Ses Païsses, in Ibiza, enters its final phase on Monday with the statement of the accused, for whom the prosecution requests a permanent revisable prison sentence for the crimes of murder and arson.
-
The accused of the fatal fire in Ibiza suffers from schizoaffective disorder: “She is a normal person”, defends her son
-
Fatal fire in Ibiza: the accused had a history of spraying acid in the face of an ex-partner
The fire, which took the life of an elderly dependent, occurred when the defendant, the victim’s caregiver and partner of the deceased’s son, allegedly set fire to the home while both elderly men slept.
The victim was unable to escape due to his limited mobility, which caused him to die an agonizing death from smoke inhalation, according to the coroner’s report.
The defense denounces an accusation based on family suspicions
The oral hearing, held at the Provincial Court of the Balearic Islands, will resume this Monday at 09.30 am with the statement of the defendant.
Subsequently, the documentary evidence will be presented and the final reports of the parties will be presented. Tuesday will be reserved for delivery to the jury of the object of the verdict, at which time the jury will remain incommunicado until a decision is reached.
The defense, led by attorney Cándido Valladolid, maintains that the accusation is “unfair” and lacks solid evidence, pointing out that it is based solely on the suspicions of one of the deceased’s daughters. Acquittal is the main request of the defense.
History of violence and previous threats
During the sessions held last week, the victim’s daughters testified. One of them described the defendant as “a dangerous woman” and said that her presence caused a serious disruption in the family dynamics: “Since she entered our lives, my brother tried to take his own life and my father was murdered,” she said.
Another daughter reported receiving direct threats from the defendant, who allegedly demanded payment of money: “You have laughed at me, but you don’t know who you are playing with. I want you to pay me 500 euros or else you are going to find out.”
The trial has also revealed that the defendant has a criminal record, including a case in which she threw oil in the face of an ex-partner, causing her serious injuries, and another investigation for arson.
From the beginning of the investigation, the Civil Guard pointed to arson, concentrating the investigation on the current defendant due to her background and the evidence found at the scene of the incident.
Last Friday, the medical examiner who performed the autopsy told the jury that the elderly man died after a slow and painful agony caused by smoke inhalation, as he was unable to move on his own.
Continue reading:
-
Coroner confirms slow agony of elderly man killed in deadly Ibiza fire, says defendant was conscious
-
From “perverse plan” to “no evidence”: trial begins against woman accused of setting a deadly fire in Ibiza
-
Threats that preceded the fire: this is how the accused in the deadly fire in Ibiza is described










